HOW IT ALL BEGAN
Since it’s inception in 1946, Force Construction Company, Inc. has been guided by a commitment to providing clients with quality construction services.
1946 – 1947
In it’s first year of operation, Force Construction Company, formed by Don Force, purchases a 1946 Chevrolet truck and establishes supplier relationships with Stran Steel Nailable Trusses and Clayton Lambert Silos and Bins. Shortly thereafter, Force acquires an Athey loader for excavation.
The first D-2 Caterpillar bulldozer is purchased. Meeting Tom Goby leads to an agreement to represent Armco Steel Buildings. Building projects begin for Snider Oil Company and Henry Marr. Don Force asks Vera Middendorf to marry him in the cab of the ’46 Chevy Truck.
A Marion 2-yard scraper is added and construction of the first office, a 12′ x 18’8″ Armco S-2 building, is completed. The company purchases its first D-6 bulldozer and #60 Caterpillar pull scraper.
The construction of Clifty and Booth Setser elementary schools in Bartholomew County is complete. Harold Force, future president of Force Construction, is born. Bob Beier joins the company and becomes instrumental in field operations for many years. 36 latrine buildings are built for the U.S. Army at Camp Atterbury.
The office relocates to 2440 25th Street and a new 28′ x 30′ shop is added. Work begins on Grandview Lake in western Bartholomew County.
Force erects its first 100,000 square foot building for Batesville Casket Company. David Force, future president of Force Design is born. The company’s first crane, a 1/2 yard capacity Unit 614, is purchased.
Force Construction Company receives the ‘Old Timers Award’ from Armco Metal Products, recognizing more than 10 years as a metal building dealer. A new office expansion measures 24′ x 36′. Force hires its first full-time salesman in 1960.
Work resumes on the completion of Grandview Lake dam and roadways near Columbus, Indiana. Property is purchased at 990 N. National Road. The first full time secretary is hired. Paul Gerbig joins the company and becomes instrumental in establishing building design operations. The Force logo is created.
New facilities open at 990 N. National Road in Columbus, Indiana and company employment reaches 100 people for the first time. Projects continue throughout Indiana.
Several projects throughout the state wrap up for Indiana Gas Company. Harold Force joins the company full-time in May of 1974.
Along with the Bicentennial of the USA, Force Construction Company celebrates its 30th anniversary. The company reorganizes as Force Construction Company, Inc., a general corporation under the laws of the State of Indiana.
Force Design, Inc. forms to provide high-quality architectural and engineering services to support Force Construction. The company’s first computer, an IBM System 32, is installed.
In August of 1980, Don Force succumbs to a 4-year battle with leukemia. David Force joins the company full time in January of 1981. Force celebrates it’s 40th anniversary in 1986. Two years later Force Design implements its first CAD system.
Force Construction Company, Inc. and Force Design, Inc. occupy new offices at 990 N. National Road. The original office on the site is dismantled and reconstructed for the Columbus Fellowship Club. On Vera Force’s 65th birthday, the original 1946 truck is completely restored as a surprise.
Force Construction Company, Inc. celebrates 50 years of business and is recognized by the State of Indiana with the Half Century Business Award.
Force marks the arrival of the new millenium, fully prepared for Y2K issues that never surface. The Arvin Walesboro Technical Facility is completed and become the ArvinMeritor Columbus Technical Center after Arvin Industries and Meritor merge.
Force Design marks 25 years of design excellence. Two Lutheran school projects, St. Peter’s Lutheran School in Columbus, and St. John’s White Creek School in southwestern Bartholomew County, begin.
A 7-mile-long project begins for the Indiana Department of Transportation on IN 135 south of Salem, Indiana. In 2004 work starts on a major expansion for Toyota Industrial Equipment Manufacturing, Inc. and Toyota Material Handling USA, Inc. The project includes offices, display and presentation facilities, and an expanded distribution area.